ScreenCraft's 2021 Holiday Gift Guide for Screenwriters
Writers are notoriously tough to buy gifts for. Odds are, they already have the tool of their trade — a laptop — and you can’t exactly wrap up some motivation, inspiration, or extra writing time.
So, what do you purchase for those pesky screenwriters on your list who want nothing more than to hit their writing goals for the new year?
Read on for gift ideas for the screenwriters in your life, no matter the budget. (Product info is linked in the price.)
Stuff to Read
Every screenwriter — and their bookshelf — can use a few more books on the art and craft of screenwriting. Not only do screenwriting books provide new and enlightening techniques for formulating compelling stories, but looking at our work through different lenses also gives us the crucial perspective we may need to jumpstart or finish a project.
- Binging with Babish: 100 Recipes Recreated from Your Favorite Movies and TV Shows by Andrew Rea: $14.99 on Amazon | $30 on Indiebound
- The Science of Storytelling by Will Storr: $13.83 on Amazon | $16 list on IndieBound
- Into the Woods: A Five-Act Journey Into Story by John Yorke: $15.59 on Amazon | $18.95 on Indiebound
- The Creative Screenwriter: 12 Rules to Follow — and Break — to Unlock Your Screenwriting Potential by Julian Hoxter: $14 on Amazon | $15.63 on Bookshop.org
- Bulletproof: Writing Scripts that Don’t Get Shot Down by David Diamond and David Weissman: $17.63 on Amazon | $24.79 on Bookshop.org
- Creating Character Arcs: The Masterful Author’s Guide to Uniting Story Structure by KM Weiland: $10.79 on Amazon | $10.79 on Indiebound)
- A24 Screenplay Books: $60
Writers. Love. Notebooks. Honestly, gifting them a dozen basic composition books would keep them happy (and busy) all year long. But if you want to go above and beyond, here are a bunch of cool and very not basic notebooks worth checking out.
- Storyboard Notebook: $7.95
- “Movie Ideas” Notebook: $7.99
- Vomit Draft Formatted Screenwriting Notebook: $9.99
- Storyclock Workbook from Plot Devices: $24.99
- Aqua Notes Waterproof Notepad: $9.40
- A24 Office Notebook: $12
Subscriptions, Software, & e-Courses
If wisdom is what your writer friend seeks this holiday season, then these gifts will certainly sate their thirst for knowledge.
- Masterclass: $180 for one year (We recommend classes taught by Aaron Sorkin, Shonda Rhimes, David Lynch, Spike Lee, Judd Apatow, and Martin Scorsese.)
- Scriptnotes Premium: $29.94 for six months | $49 for one year
- ScreenCraft Screenwriting e-Courses: $39 & $49
- TSL 360: $12 for Monthly All-Access | $99 for Annual All-Access
- Script Anatomy: prices start around $500
- Final Draft 12 Screenwriting Software: $159.99
Script Coverage & Competitions
Light a fire in your screenwriter with the gift of a deadline and professional feedback on their script! There are so many great screenwriting competitions and script coverage services out there, so surprise them with something that could take their career and/or their project to the next level. (Warning: Could also lead to them feeling rejected and full of self-doubt...)
Selecting a screenwriting competition can be daunting, especially if you're not a writer yourself. That's why you should check out Coverfly, which features contests that are vetted, reputable, and lead to success stories. Expect entry fees to be anywhere from $30 to $70, so make sure to load up a gift card with enough funds so they're ready to rumble!
What better way to show your special screenwriter how much you care than by gifting them the blessed experience of getting their script torn to absolute shreds by a professional script reader. Okay, okay...that's a bit of an over-exaggeration. Sometimes readers fall madly in love with the stories they read -- before tearing them to absolute shreds.
- WeScreenplay Format-Based Coverage: $59.99 - $199.99 (*Gift Cards available)
- ScreenCraft Genre-Based Notes: starts at $95
- Launch Pad Development & Studio Notes: $125
- TSL Notes: $39 - $119
Whether it's apparel, mugs, or the hottest (and pretty expensive) keyboard on the market for writers, we've got you covered for fun and quirky stocking stuffers. (Hmmm...you might need a pretty big stocking for that keyboard.
- “FADE IN” coffee mug: $13.95
- Minari Family Recipe Cards: FREE (Just download and print them out!)
- John August's Writer Emergency Pack: $15.99
- Storymatic Writing Game: $29.95
- Screenplay Poster Art: $16.00 for classic print | $45 for custom print
- “The Future of Film is Female” T-shirt: $19.99
- Typewriter Patent T-Shirt from Production Apparel: $23
- Storyclock Tee from Plot Devices: $24.99
- Qwerkywriter Typewriter Keyboard: $299.99
Finding the perfect gift for a writer is no easy task. You may not be able to present them with the perfect line of dialogue or more time to write, but hopefully this list has given you ideas for a gift that will inspire, motivate, and help them reach their writing goals.
No matter what you choose, gifting the screenwriter in your life something that shows you support their writing is what really counts.
WANT MORE GIFT IDEAS? CHECK OUT SCREENCRAFT'S 2022 HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE FOR SCREENWRITERS!
Britton Perelman is a writer and storyteller from the middle of nowhere, Ohio. She’s had jobs in travel writing, movie trailers, and podcasting, and is currently getting her MFA in Screenwriting at the University of Texas at Austin. When not writing, Britton is most likely belting along to Broadway musical soundtracks, carefully making miniature bookshelves, or napping with her dog, Indiana Jones. Find more of her writing on her website or follow her on Instagram.