The 2019 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Screenplay Competition is open for entries! Whether you’re writing a contained science fiction drama or an epic fantasy saga, we want to read your feature film script. The jury is out of this world — with judges who love sci-fi movies — from top companies including 20th Century Fox, Anonymous Content and Grandview! Don’t miss the industry’s #1 sci-fi & fantasy feature screenplay competition.
Quarter-finalists Announcement: April 24th, 2019
Semifinalists Announcement: May 15th, 2019
Finalists Announcement: July 3rd, 2019
Winners Announcement: July 17th, 2019
1st PlaceGrand Prize
- Phone call with a top literary manager
- Circulation and personal recommendation of our top 2 winners’ screenplays to our network of over 60 Hollywood managers, agents, producers and development executives.
- Lifetime license to WriterDuet Pro screenwriting software.
- Circulation and personal recommendation of our top 2 winners screenplays to our network of over 60 Hollywood managers, agents, producers and development executives.
- Lifetime license to WriterDuet Pro screenwriting software.
- All semifinalists will receive an invitation to join the exclusive ScreenCraft Writers Room private Facebook group, where you can connect with other top level screenwriters and industry professionals, get exclusive ScreenCraft guidance, and develop your project.
- A half-off discount code to WriterDuet Pro screenwriting software!
Concept Category Prize
Have a great sci-fi movie idea and don’t have a completed screenplay yet? Submit a description of your idea to the Concept Category!
Winner will receive:
Concept development meeting with Jonathan Wu, development executive at 20th Century Fox
$500 cash award
Complimentary access to all screenwriting courses from ScreenCraft
Complimentary annual membership to TSL 360 screenwriting education library, courtesy of our friends at The Script Lab
Fee to enter: $19 early (before January 31) / $29 final (before March 31)
You may enter a 1-5 page PDF describing your movie concept. Accepted entries include: a written pitch, a logline, a synopsis, an outline or beat sheet. ScreenCraft will provide ongoing assistance to develop the pitch and/or help the winning writer to polish a draft of the screenplay. 20th Century Fox executive Jonathan Wu will help develop the project via a phone call and/or in-person meeting. Writers are welcome to submit their finished screenplay in the script category, as well as a log line or synopsis in the Concept Category.
- Submissions are accepted via electronic submission only, between January 1, 2019 and March 31, 2019.
- Entry fee for each feature film screenplay is $49 until the early deadline on January 31, 2019, then $69 until the final deadline on March 31, 2019.
- Optional feedback from a professional reader may be requested at the time of entry. Requests for feedback after an entry is submitted will not be accepted.
- Screenplays must be a minimum of 75 pages and a maximum of 150 pages.
- There is no limit to the number of projects you may submit.
- Entries must be received on or before the deadline dates by 11:59PM Pacific Time, and submission fee payment must be made in full at time of the submission. All entry fees are non-refundable.
- All submitted material must be original, and all rights must be wholly owned by the writer(s).
- Material must be submitted by the writer. Material written by writing teams must be submitted by one of the writers, with consent of the other(s). All writers must be credited on title page.
- If a writing team is chosen as a winner, prizes will be given to the person who submits the project. Each team is responsible for dividing or sharing the prize money.
- Substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entered material will be allowed for a limited time with a $5 reentry fee through Coverfly. Please proofread your script carefully before submitting.
- It is recommended that original material be registered with the WGA or The Library of Congress before submitting to any competition, however we do not require registration.
- Contact info may be included on the cover page of the screenplay, however it is not required.
- All ownership and rights to the scripts submitted to this contest remains with the original rights holders.
- All writers at least 18 years of age are eligible. However, a writer who has earned more than $50,000 (or equivalent currency) from professional writing services for film or TV in the preceding year is not. (Contest winnings not included.)
- All persons from anywhere in the world are eligible; however the material submitted must be in English (occasional dialogue in other languages is acceptable, if subtitle translation is provided).
- All material submitted to other competitions or contests are eligible for this contest.
- There are no requirements as to when the material was written.
- Screenplay and intellectual property must be wholly owned and submitted by the writer(s).
- Material should be submitted in standard screenplay format, font, spacing and margin.
- We have no preferences regarding title page content. Title and name of writer would suffice.
- Entries for this competition are managed on the submission platform Coverfly.
- Adaptations are ineligible unless the underlying rights are owned by the writer or the work is in the public domain.
- The recommended length for feature film scripts is 100-120 pages. Scripts over 120 pages are fine and will be accepted, however please note that there is a small page overage charge of $1 per every page over 120 pages to compensate the judges for the extra time invested in reading longer scripts.
- Feature screenplays longer than 150 pages will not be eligible.
- All material must be submitted electronically as a PDF or it will not be eligible.
The winners will be chosen based on the following criteria: (i) originality; (ii) plot/story structure; (iii) characterization; (iv) visual inventiveness; and (v) overall impression. The winners and top finalists may be contacted by interested industry representatives, such as managers, agents or producers. Entrants may be required to submit further information to assist in the judges’ verification of eligibility. Any entrant may be deemed ineligible at the sole discretion of ScreenCraft. Finalists may be required to sign and return within seven (7) business days of receipt a notarized Affidavit of Eligibility and a Release and Indemnification and proof of valid passport and any other documents that ScreenCraft or any other partner may require before receiving prize payment. Failure to respond to the initial notification within ten (10) days or return of notification will result in disqualification. We reserve the right to amend these rules at any time.
COPYRIGHT AND OWNERSHIP
ScreenCraft or any other partner, employee or agent associated with this contest claims no ownership nor first right of option to any original screenplay submitted to this contest. All ownership and rights to the scripts submitted to this contest remains with the original rights holders until and unless other agreements are made.
All entries are non-refundable.
ENTRY CONDITIONS AND RELEASE
BY ENTERING THE CONTEST YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE TO THESE CONDITIONS. You agree to release and hold harmless ScreenCraft, ScreenCraft.org, its subsidiary, parent and affiliated companies, Prize contributors, judges, screenplay readers, Sponsors, and any other organizations responsible for administering, advertising or promoting the Contest, and every one of their respective members, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) past and present from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to damages and negligence to property and persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, copyright, infringement of trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to a participant’s Entry, participation in the Contest and/or acceptance or use or misuse of Prize; provided however, that such release will not apply to any commercial exploitation of the script by a Released Party in violation of your rights under applicable copyright law; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the ScreenCraft.org and its Sponsor, agents and employees from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys fees) relating to an entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or entrant’s use or misuse of Prize. Employees of ScreenCraft and their immediate families are ineligible to participate in this contest. Any such submission will be immediately disqualified. ENTRY TO THIS CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED or restricted by any Federal, State or Local law. Voided entries will be refunded. Recipients’ eligibility will be verified before the grant is awarded and the winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility. By entering the contest, you authorize us to use any trusted third-party online and cloud-based services and databases for hosting, managing and/or transmitting your submission file(s).