The winning feature film screenplay will be celebrated with a live-read event with professional actors and audience of Hollywood screenwriters, film & TV executives, managers and agents! Enter your best script today — we’re reading!
1st PlaceGrand Prize
$ 1,000Cash Travel Stipend
- Live-read of your winning screenplay with a live audience and professional actors at the Nashville Writers Conference, featuring Hollywood’s top screenwriters, agents and managers!
- Full Flight & Accommodations + Elite Badge to the Conference and Nashville Film Festival
- VIP access to 3 days of festival premieres, networking events and parties
- A phone consultation with a top literary manager.
- Elite Badge to Nashville Writers Conference & Film Festival screenings and events ($400 value)
Top 5 Finalists
- All top five finalists will receive a Basic Badge for the Nashville Writers Conference
- Submissions are accepted via electronic submission on this website only, between Januar 5th, 2016 and March 1st, 2016.
- Entry fee for each story is $39 until the February 1st early deadline and then $49 until the final deadline on March 1st 2016.
- There is no limit to the number of stories you may submit.
- Entries must be received on or before the deadlines and submission fee payment must be made in full at time of the submission. All entry fees are non-refundable.
- Material must be submitted by the writer. Material written by writing teams must be submitted by one of the writers, with consent of the other(s). All writers must be credited on title page.
- If a writing team is chosen as a winner, prizes will be given to the person who submits the project. Each team is responsible for dividing or sharing the prize money.
- Substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entered material are not allowed. Please proofread very carefully before submitting.
- It is recommended that original material be registered with the US Copyright Office before submitting to any competition, however we do not require registration.
- This competition is for feature film screenplays only and must be no longer than 140 pages. All genres welcome.
- All ownership and rights to the material submitted to this contest remains with the original rights holders.
- All writers at least 18 years of age are eligible. However, a writer who has earned more than $50,000 (or equivalent currency) from professional writing services for film or TV is not. (Contest winnings not included.)
- All persons from anywhere in the world are eligible; however the material submitted must be in English.
- All material submitted to other competitions or contests are eligible.
- There are no requirements as to when the material was written.
- The material submitted must not be encumbered by any obligation to, or option held by, a third party prior to entering the competition.
- Any submitted work that becomes optioned, published, produced or purchased between the time of submission and the end of the judging period will no longer be eligible.
- Material should be submitted in standard PDF format with traditional screenplay formatting.
- We have no preferences regarding title page content. Title and name of writer would suffice.
- Adaptations are ineligible unless the underlying rights are owned by the writer or the work is in the public domain.
- All material must be submitted electronically or it will not be eligible.
- Scripts longer than 140 pages are not eligible.
The studios, publishers and companies that employ our judges are in no way official sponsors or endorsers of this contest. The top 10 finalists will be chosen based on the following criteria: (i) originality of style; (ii) structure; (iii) voice; (iv) cinematic potential; and (v) overall impression. The top 5 finalists will be notified by email and may be contacted by interested industry representatives, such as managers, agents, producers or publishers. Entrants may be required to submit further information to assist in the judges’ verification of eligibility. Any entrant may be deemed ineligible at the sole discretion of ScreenCraft. The selected 2 winners will be notified by e-mail on or about March 31st, 2016. Finalists may be required to sign and return within seven (7) business days of receipt a notarized Affidavit of Eligibility and a Release and Indemnification and any other documents that ScreenCraft or any other partner may require before receiving prize payment. Failure to respond to the initial notification within ten (10) days or return of notification will result in disqualification. We reserve the right to amend these rules at any time.
COPYRIGHT AND OWNERSHIP
ScreenCraft or any other partner, employee or agent associated with this contest claims no ownership nor first right of option to any original short story submitted to this contest. All ownership and rights to the material submitted to this contest remains with the original rights holders until and unless other agreements are made.
All entries are non-refundable.
ENTRY CONDITIONS AND RELEASE
BY ENTERING THE CONTEST YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE TO THESE CONDITIONS. You agree to release and hold harmless ScreenCraft LLC, ScreenCraft.org, its subsidiary, parent and affiliated companies, Prize contributors, judges, readers, Sponsors, and any other organizations responsible for administering, advertising or promoting the Contest, and every one of their respective members, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) past and present from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to damages and negligence to property and persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, copyright, infringement of trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to a participant’s Entry, participation in the Contest and/or acceptance or use or misuse of Prize; provided however, that such release will not apply to any commercial exploitation of the story by a Released Party in violation of your rights under applicable copyright law; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the ScreenCraft.org and its Sponsor, agents and employees from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys fees) relating to an entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or entrant’s use or misuse of Prize. Employees of ScreenCraft and their immediate families are ineligible to participate in this contest. Any such submission will be immediately disqualified. ENTRY TO THIS CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED or restricted by any Federal, State or Local law. Voided entries will be refunded. Recipients’ eligibility will be verified before the grant is awarded and the winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility.