Every 6 months, at least one filmmaker will be awarded this production grant of up to $20,000 in production funds. We announce the winner(s) 6 weeks after each final deadline.
We are accepting applications from around the world (in English). Whether you have a simple screenplay or a short film that’s already in production, we want to consider your short screenplay or in-production short film project.
If your aspirations are solely to become a produced screenwriter, you can rely on ScreenCraft and BondIt to package the winning short film screenplay with a talented director and in-house production resources with up to $20,000 in financing.
In partnership with BondIt, a film & media fund based in Beverly Hills, ScreenCraft is offering two production grants per year to talented filmmakers for short film and online series that display originality, vision & exceptional potential. Grant amounts will vary from $10,000 to $20,000 depending on the scale and merit of the project. This program includes creative development from the ScreenCraft team and production guidance and resources from BondIt and Buffalo 8 Productions.
BondIt is a film and media fund with recent film credits including “Sharknado“, “Wild Horses” (starring James Franco and Robert Duvall) “31” (directed by Rob Zombie), “By Way of Helena” (starring Woody Harrelson, Liam Hemsworth and William Hurt) & “The Invitation” (SXSW winner).
Ira Sachs, Sundance and Berlin award-winning filmmaker
Ira’s films include The Delta (1997), Forty Shades of Blue (2005), Married Life(2007), and Keep the Lights On (2012). His most recent film, Love Is Strange, premiered at Sundance in 2014. His next film, Little Men, stars Greg Kinnear, Alfred Molina, Jason Sudeikis and Paulina García.
Between 2 and 4 projects will be selected each year.
Apply before the next deadline!
- Updated: the two annual application periods are as follows:
- Spring Funding Cycle opening January 1, with a Spring Early Deadline of February 1 and a final deadline of June 30.
- Fall Funding Cycle opening July 1, with a Fall Early Deadline of August 1 and a final deadline of December 30.
- Grants will range in size from $10,000 to $20,000 per project. Grant amount will be determined by the jury consisting of executives from ScreenCraft and BondIt.
- Applications are accepted via electronic submission only.
- Application admin fee for each project is $35 before the early deadline of each cycle and then $55 until the late / final deadline of each cycle. Student price (with an active school email address) is $25 before the early deadlines and then $45 until the late / final deadlines.
- Application must include a screenplay and a project vision statement from the writer or director. You are welcome to include any and all relevant links to prior work in the cover letter.
- There is no limit to the number of projects you may submit.
- Applications must be received on or before the deadlines and application fee payment must be made in full at time of the submission.
- All application fees are non-refundable
- All submitted material must be original, and all rights must be wholly owned by the writer(s).
- Material must be submitted by the author or owner of the material. Material written by writing teams must be submitted by one of the writers, with consent of the other(s). All writers must be credited on title page.
- Substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entered material are not allowed. Please proofread your script very carefully before submitting.
- Contact info may be included on the cover page of the screenplay, however it is not required.
- Recipient(s) of each funding cycle will be announced and notified approximately 6 weeks after the application deadline.
- Grant funding is conditional upon selected recipient going into production on selected project within twelve (12) months of when the grant was awarded. Failure to do so will nullify the grant.
- We welcome international applicants. All persons from anywhere in the world are eligible; however the material submitted must be in English.
- If an applicant is younger than 18 years old, a verifiable parental consent form must also be submitted with application.
- All material submitted to other competitions or contests are eligible for this production grant program.
- There are no requirements as to when the material was written.
- Screenplay must be owned and submitted by the writer or owner.
- Material should be submitted in standard screenplay format, font, spacing and margin.
- We have no preferences regarding title page content. Title and name of writer would suffice.
- Adaptations are ineligible unless the underlying rights are owned by the writer or director or the work is in the public domain.
- Screenplays must be 2 pages minimum and they must be less than 40 pages for short films and less than 60 pages for online series. If you’re submitting an online series, you must submit the pilot episode and optionally you may submit subsequent episodes with the pilot.
- All material must be submitted electronically as a PDF or it will not be eligible.
The winners will be chosen two times per year based on the following criteria: (i) originality; (ii) story structure; (iii) characterization; (iv) visual inventiveness; and (v) overall viability for world-class film festivals and/or online distribution. The winners and top finalists may be contacted by interested industry representatives, such as managers, agents or producers. Entrants may be required to submit further information to assist in the judges’ verification of eligibility. Any entrant may be deemed ineligible at the sole discretion of ScreenCraft. The selected winner(s) will be notified by e-mail 4-6 weeks after the trimester deadline. Finalists may be required to sign and return within seven (7) business days of receipt a notarized Affidavit of Eligibility and a Release and Indemnification and proof of valid passport and any other documents that ScreenCraft or any other partner may require before receiving funding payment. Failure to respond to the initial notification within ten (10) days or return of notification will result in disqualification. We reserve the right to amend these rules at any time.
COPYRIGHT AND OWNERSHIP
ScreenCraft and BondIt will request an executive producer credit and participation in the project per terms to be agreed upon at time of the award of the production funds. Writer credit and director and producer credit will remain with the original filmmaking team. All ownership and rights to the material submitted to this grant program remains with the original rights holders until and unless other agreements are made. Should your project be awarded funding, you are not obligated to accept it until and unless other agreements are made.
All application fees are non-refundable.
ENTRY CONDITIONS AND RELEASE
By applying for this production grant, each participant agrees to release and hold harmless BondIt, Buffalo 8 Productions, ScreenCraft LLC, ScreenCraft.org, its subsidiary, parent and affiliated companies, contributors, Sponsors, and any other organizations responsible for administering, advertising or promoting this Short Film Fund and Grant Program and Promotion, and every one of their respective members, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) past and present from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to damages and negligence to property and persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, copyright, infringement of trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to a participant’s Entry, participation in the Promotion and/or acceptance or use or misuse of Prize; provided however, that such release will not apply to any commercial exploitation of the script by a Released Party in violation of your rights under applicable copyright law; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless all related parties including BondIt, ScreenCraft, ScreenCraft.org and its Sponsor, agents and employees from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys fees) relating to an entrant’s participation in the Program and/or entrant’s use or misuse of awarded grant. Employees of ScreenCraft, Buffalo 8, BondIt and their immediate families are ineligible to participate in this contest. Any such submission will be immediately disqualified. This grant program is void where restricted by any Federal, State or Local law. Recipients’ eligibility will be verified before the grant is awarded and the winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility.