Calling all family-friendly feature film screenplays!
Families are the most influential moviegoing audience, yet there’s a surprising lack of high-quality films that appeal to the WHOLE family. This contest avoids the genre-bias of some other contests by seeking exclusively screenplays that are life-affirming stories of faith, courage, hope and love. Whether you have a family drama, comedy, animation, or action-adventure film – we have producers and executives who are hungry for high-quality “four-quadrant” projects to package and produce. Will your script win?
Quarter-finalists Announcement: February 5th
Semifinalists Announcement: March 1st
Winners Announcement: April 10th
1st PlaceGrand Prize
$ 1,000Cash Prize
- Phone call (or in-person introduction) to a top Hollywood literary manager
- Circulation of winning screenplay synopsis to our network of over 60 entertainment industry professionals, including targeted introductions to relevant family-friendly film producers and development executives.
- Six months of dedicated portfolio evaluation and development with the ScreenCraft team.
- Circulation of screenplay synopsis to our network of industry managers, agents, producers and studio executives.
Top 10 Finalists
- Invitation and free entry into the exclusive ScreenCraft Family Friendly Virtual Writer’s group
- Free entry to any 2018 ScreenCraft competition
- All top 50 semi-finalists will receive an invitation into the exclusive ScreenCraft Family-Friendly Virtual Writer’s group where you can connect with other top level screenwriters who write family-friendly screenplays, get exclusive ScreenCraft guidance, and develop your writing with this group. And every member gets free entry to next year’s contest with feedback.
- Submissions are accepted via electronic submission on this website only, between October 2nd, 2017 and Dec 30th, 2017.
- Entry fee for each screenplay is $49 until November 2nd early deadline and then $69 until final deadline on December 30th.
- Written feedback from a professional reader can be added to your entry for an additional $70.
- There is no limit to the number of projects you may submit.
- Entries must be received on or before 11:59pm Pacific Time on the deadline dates and submission fee payment must be made in full at time of the submission. All entry fees are non-refundable.
- All submitted material must be original, and all rights must be wholly owned by the writer(s).
- Material must be submitted by the writer. Material written by writing teams must be submitted by one of the writers, with consent of the other(s).
- If a writing team is chosen as a winner, prizes will be given to the person who submits the project. Each team is responsible for dividing or sharing the prize money.
- Substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entered material are allowed. Writers must upload new drafts via the link provided in their original submission confirmation email.
- It is recommended that original material be registered with the WGA or The Library of Congress before submitting to any competition, however registration is not required.
- All ownership and rights to the scripts submitted to this contest remains with the original rights holders.
- All writers 18 years of age or older are eligible, however, a writer who has earned more than $50,000 (or equivalent currency) from professional writing services for film or TV in the preceding year is not. (Contest winnings not included.)
- All persons from anywhere in the world are eligible; however the material submitted must be in English.
- All material submitted to other competitions or contests are eligible.
- There are no requirements as to when the material was written.
- The material submitted must not be encumbered by any obligation to, or option held by, a third party prior to entering the competition.
- Any submitted work that becomes optioned, published, produced or purchased between the time of submission and the end of the judging period will no longer be eligible.
- Material should be submitted in its proper format, font, spacing and margins.
- We have no preferences regarding title page content. You are welcome to include contact info, but not required. Title and name of writer would suffice.
- Adaptations are ineligible unless the underlying rights are owned by the writer or the work is in the public domain.
- Feature Screenplays longer than 140 pages will not be eligible.
- The recommended length for feature film scripts is 100-120 pages. Scripts over 120 pages will be accepted, but there is a small page overage charge to compensate the judges for the extra time invested in reading longer scripts.
- All material must be submitted as a PDF or it will not be eligible.
The judging panel, selected by ScreenCraft or its representatives in its sole discretion, may include screenplay development professionals from major studios, production companies, or their subsidiaries, however these studios and production companies are in no way official sponsors or endorsers of this contest. The top 10 finalists and winners will be chosen based on the following criteria: (i) originality; (ii) visual inventiveness; (iii) story; and (iv) overall impression. The top 10 finalists will be notified by email and may be contacted by interested industry representatives, such as managers, agents or producers. Entrants may be required to submit further information to assist in the judges’ verification of eligibility. Any entrant may be deemed ineligible at the sole discretion of ScreenCraft. Finalists may be required to sign and return within five (5) business days of receipt a notarized Affidavit of Eligibility and a Release and Indemnification and any other documents that ScreenCraft or any other partner may require before receiving prize payment. Failure to respond to the initial notification within ten (10) days or return of notification will result in disqualification. We reserve the right to amend these rules at any time.
COPYRIGHT AND OWNERSHIP
ScreenCraft or any other partner, employee or agent associated with this contest claims no ownership nor first right of option to any original screenplay submitted to this contest. All ownership and rights to the scripts submitted to this contest remains with the original rights holders until and unless other agreements are made.
All entries are non-refundable.
ENTRY CONDITIONS AND RELEASE
BY ENTERING THE CONTEST YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE TO THESE CONDITIONS. You agree to release and hold harmless ScreenCraft LLC, ScreenCraft.org, its subsidiary, parent and affiliated companies, Prize contributors, judges, screenplay readers, Sponsors, and any other organizations responsible for administering, advertising or promoting the Contest, and every one of their respective members, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) past and present from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to damages and negligence to property and persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, copyright, infringement of trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to a participant’s Entry, participation in the Contest and/or acceptance or use or misuse of Prize; provided however, that such release will not apply to any commercial exploitation of the script by a Released Party in violation of your rights under applicable copyright law; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the ScreenCraft.org and its Sponsor, agents and employees from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys fees) relating to an entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or entrant’s use or misuse of Prize. Employees of ScreenCraft and their immediate families are ineligible to participate in this contest. Any such submission will be immediately disqualified. ENTRY TO THIS CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED or restricted by any Federal, State or Local law. Voided entries will be refunded. Recipients’ eligibility will be verified before the grant is awarded and the winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility. By entering the contest, you authorize us to use any trusted third-party online and cloud-based services and databases for hosting, managing and/or transmitting your submission file(s).