We’re thrilled to announce: Dead Places by Irene Turner has been selected as the Grand Prize Winner of the 2015 Short Story Contest. Turner will receive the grand prize of $1,000 cash, a phone consultation with Academy Award-winning screenwriter Diana Ossana, and a phone call with a top Hollywood literary manager.
Land of Origin, by Timothy Tau, has been named the runner-up and will receive $300, as well as a phone consultation with a top literary manager.
Both Turner and Tau will have their stories published for a limited time on our website and submitted to our network of literary magazines, agents, managers, publishers and studio executives, as will the following finalists:
- Denise Meyer, Alone
- Kat Lewis, From the Mouths of Babes
- G.G. Silverman, The Gift
- L.E. Grabowski-Cotton, The Mourning Dove
- Jane Hammons, Oryx Love
- Travis Richardson, Quack and Dwight
- Mylissa Fitzsimmons, Red Clay Halo
- John Farrell Jr., Two Days in October
The finalists, runner-up, and winner were selected by an amazing group of judges:
- Valerie Cates – Executive Story Editor at Random House Films, company with first-look deal at Universal Pictures
- Diana Ossana – Academy Award-winning screenwriter of short story adaptation Brokeback Mountain
- Cheston Knapp – Managing Editor of Tin House Magazine
- Emily Cooke – Senior Editor at Harper’s Magazine
You can read nine of these cinematic short stories below! Congratulate the finalists, runner-up, and winner on Facebook!