We’re excited about this one! Let’s just get right to it – we’ve lined up some fantastic judges for this year’s comedy screenplay contest. Most of the industry’s top comedy production companies are represented. The finalists of this contest are in for a huge opportunity!
Whether you have a romantic comedy or an action-comedy blockbuster, we want to read your script. Also, we’ve teamed up with the Director of Development at Funny Or Die to bring you a SHORT category as well!
Big or small, we want to read smart movies with strong command of the screenwriting craft. Winner receives $1,500 cash and exposure to some of the top comedy production companies in Hollywood! We’re looking for fresh comedic voices – in feature length and short screenplays.
The 2014 jury includes Hollywood’s hottest comedy producers:
- Mark O’Connor, producer at Green Hat Films (THE HANGOVER, PROJECT X, DUE DATE)
- Alex Plapinger, executive at Montecito Picture Company (I LOVE YOU MAN, UP IN THE AIR, OLD SCHOOL, NO STRINGS ATTACHED)
- Billy Wee, executive at Happy Madison (Adam Sandler’s company with such hits as DEUCE BIGALOW: MALE GIGALO, PAUL BLART: MALL COP, ANGER MANAGEMENT, FUNNY PEOPLE, GROWN UPS, THE GOLDBERGS)
- Dave Rath, manager at Generate (clients: Patton Oswalt, Kyle Kinane)
- Joe Farrell, executive at Funny or Die (owned by Yahoo and Will Ferrell)
- Sean Covel, producer (Napoleon Dynamite, Beneath, Broken Hill)
- Taylor Benzie, manager at Kaplan/Perrone
- Ben Mekler, staff writer at Nerdist Industries
- Manager at Mosaic Media Group which represents the industry’s hottest comedy writers and talent, including such comedy giants as: Will Ferrell, Judd Apatow, Andy Samberg, Isla Fisher, Olivia Munn, Will Forte, Nick Kroll and many more!
First place feature screenplay winner will receive $1,500 cash prize + introduction to agents, managers and producers!
- Winner will also receive a phone consultation with comedy writer David Mandel (EuroTrip, The Dictator, Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm)!
First place comedy SHORT screenplay winner will receive $1,000 + a phone call to discuss your project with Joe Farrell, development exec at Funny Or Die!
- Top 5 finalists will receive a page of expert feedback from one of our industry judges.
- All entries are eligible for optional feedback from a studio-trained professional reader.
- Early entry fee is only $29.
- Short screenplay entry fee is only $15. Limit 20 pages. Multiple entries are welcome.
- All semi-finalists in both the feature and short categories will receive a 1-year subscription to WriterDuet Pro real-time collaborative screenwriting software, courtesy of our sponsor.
WriterDuet Pro offers everything in the free version, plus offline writing, analytics, customizations, Google Drive backups, production tools, and much more! Easily import/export many formats including PDF, Final Draft, Fountain, and Celtx. WriterDuet is a proud sponsor of the 2nd annual ScreenCraft Comedy Script Contest.